Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Independent Life of Woody The Cat

Hello Everyone,

Sometimes I'm casting about for a topic, and then I realize I'm staring one right in the face. Our pets.

Some of the most amazing and illuminating moments of our lives are brought about by virtue of our pets. You see, often times where we cannot open our hearts to other humanoids, we can open our hearts to animals.

We won't debate here whether or not pets have "souls". I'll just state for the record that they definitely do. Although probably not in the sense that we think about it; but the Native Americans knew and still do, that the animal kingdom is part of God and that they serve us, well - if we are but listening and paying attention.

Which brings me to Woody the Cat, my pet. Woody has been with me since he was weened. His birthday is July 4, 2005. At the time Woody came to live with me, I was just moving into my newly built home in Descanso, Ca. The property was bordered on the rear by the Cleveland National Forrest and overlooked the Cuyamaca Rancho State Park. In short, he came to live in a place where few cats live beyond their first year. Amongst the "dangers" are mountain lions, coyotes, rattle snakes, bobcats and owls to name a few.

However, at every stage of his growing up, he had to be a cat. He would whine to go outside, to stay outside and be FREE!

Of course this set up a giant war within my human mind. What if? How can I? I have to protect him!

Alas, all my mental explantions to Woody the Cat about how I wanted him to be safe made nary a dent on his natural self - a cat. Clearly, it was I that would have to grow in consciousness in order to be able to give him the life he deserved. I had to learn to "let go" and know that he was in Well Being, with his own internal guidance, and above all - that his life was his own, not mine.

Woody and I have had many adventures. Well, it's more accurate to say that I've had many adventures because of his being Woody the Cat.

There was, of course, not one, but three encounters with rattle snakes. He likes to play with them. The time he got himself treed in my neighbors encampment with 13 Jack Russell terriers. And most recently, here in Ohio where he has become quite the ambassador of Good Will, greeting all the neighbors in their comings and goings. One night he got himself locked up in someone's garage.

At every Woody adventure, even when he's "overdue" to be home, his presence in my life serves to remind me to Trust. All is well. And his life is remarkably, his own.

The truth is, because I love him so much, I want him to have his own life. To do that, I have to grow in unconditional Love.

God bless our pets, who teach us such a concept.

Thanks for reading!

Kath

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

As Featured On Ezine Articles

Sign Up Now for the Applied Spirituality NewsLetter. You will get practical tools, tips and techniques that - when applied -  will change your life!
Aren't you ready for all the good stuff ?

Email:
    follow me on Twitter



    I Heart AWeber.com

    Do you love email marketing?