Thursday, March 5, 2009

One Man's Desire for More and Better

Good Day Everyone!

Recently I've been watching Showtime's series, the Tudors. On the Special Features disc I was treated to see one episode of This American Life, another Showtime Series. This episode was about Michael Phillips. The best article I can find to tell you about the show and about Michael Phillips is in the St. Petersburg Times. Eric Deggans, staff writer, wrote an amazing account of Michael and his story.

I heartily encourage you to read the story and then watch the show. It is the first episode of the second season of This American Life. You can probably get it from your local library on DVD.
Talk about Quality programming, this is it.

Mike is an ordinary guy, except that he's got a particular challenge called SMA. The only part, save his head, that moves is his thumb. He's still an ordinary guy with hopes, dreams and desires. He is striving, like each of us, to become more than he has been.

The episode talks about his having lived with his Mother all his life, and now he wants some independence. He wants - his Life.

Wow, we think as we watch, how amazing is this? Yet, he, like each of us, is a Godchip in physical form. He is alive and reflective, a being of Light in a physical, albeit, broken body. Many, I suppose, would think, "why bother". Yet, he does. He strives to grow and become more Real, more himSelf. Michael is our teacher.

A friend of mine is reading The Story of My Life by Helen Keller. In sharing with my friend Michael's story, she in turn recounted to me that same Joie de Vive - zest for life - in Helen's words about her own life. Everyday was a wonderful day to Helen. Every letter started with some version of how happy she was to be alive and how privileged it was to feel the sun on her face, or the rain, or the snow...she was just happy for Life, Itself.

A new book has come to my attention, Happy For No Reason, by Marci Shimoff. On my walk this morning I was contemplating these three events coming into my awareness over the past 24 hours. Michael Phillips, Helen Keller, and Marci Simoff - all reminding me that my Life Is Good, as well, and to Be Happy for no particular reason except that I just get to be here in the physical and that is the Reason for Joy.

How grateful I am for the lives of others who influence me back into Reality.

Thanks for Reading!

Kath

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

As Featured On Ezine Articles

Sign Up Now for the Applied Spirituality NewsLetter. You will get practical tools, tips and techniques that - when applied -  will change your life!
Aren't you ready for all the good stuff ?

Email:
    follow me on Twitter



    I Heart AWeber.com

    Do you love email marketing?