Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Indian Summer In March

Good Morning World!

True to form for about the past week here in San Diego County we've been experiencing Indian Summer. I know this is supposed to happen in October, but there it is. It is this time of the year when we have perfect "11" weather.

It's 77 degrees. Not a breath of those dang Santa Anas. The birds are awake and singing up a storm. It is just sweet out there. And here it comes, the urge to PLANT! Whoa! Every year this happens, but now I know better. Resist the urge unless it loves cold weather. I did succumb and buy pansies and johnny-jump-ups. I also have spinach growing in tubs. Yesterday I about killed myself transplanting things whilst they are still "asleep". Yet I noticed the wisteria have buds on them, the lilacs have small green buds coming out. The daffodils are blooming and the paper whites are finished. Can you see why this climate is so deadly to plants? They get tricked into blooming out, and whammy, the cold comes back and kills them.

It's also a trick to our psyches. It's not time to move forth. It's still winter, the hibernation time. The time for introspection, reflection, and most of all sitting with the still small voice in silence.

Ever since moving to California some 30 years ago I just couldn't adjust to this infernal sunshine day in and day out. Please, God, a cloud...any cloud. Something to break up all that blue. Weather, any kind of weather, just bring me something other than sunny and warm, sunny and hot. Then I discovered the mountains and it is better. My soul has a chance to "season". There truly is a season for everything and if we don't pay attention and give it it's due, we are off balance. I know those living in the Midwest and East are sick of the cold weather by now, but perhaps that's why they are more "sane". There is a time to rest. An excuse not to "go". A real reason not to take the car out. It's OK to hunker down, enjoy the fire and snooze. How many of us in Southern California actually DO that?

When I first moved up to the mountains back in 1992 it took me quite awhile to learn to just be.
Not rush around, not have to accomplish. It was painful. My mind kept jack-hammering me to get up, do something. Yet, I knew, I was not connected with mySelf. So I sat and rocked and watched the birds, rabbits, squirrels and leaves on the live oak trees. I tried to remember what it was like to feel the rhythm of Life. It took awhile, but I did. And I do.

How much is feeling the rhythm of Life a part of your day? Do you go to the ocean and watch the sunset? I used to when I lived in Leucadia. It was a sort of ritual to walk up to the cliff along with a few others and watch it descend with the sky performing a light show of colors. Twice I was treated to a real view of a green flash. Wow.

We are, we humans, a part of Nature. The rhythm of the tides, the currents of air, the earth, the birds, the rocks, the sounds of Life. It's that separation from Nature, All That Is, that makes us nuts. That feeling of separation is what makes us pollute and destroy. That separation is what makes us go to war.

Your challenge? Take some part of everyday and decide to "go home". Feel your belonging to All That Is. Feel your connection and delight with Nature. Go check out the now abundant Pelicans at the seashore. Go notice if the cardinals are perched or has Robin Redbreast returned. Notice something, then go deeper and feel your connection and place in IT ALL.

Thanks for reading! k
Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

As Featured On Ezine Articles

Sign Up Now for the Applied Spirituality NewsLetter. You will get practical tools, tips and techniques that - when applied -  will change your life!
Aren't you ready for all the good stuff ?

Email:
    follow me on Twitter



    I Heart AWeber.com

    Do you love email marketing?